WHAT TO EXPECT
WHAT IS A CAC?
A Child Advocacy Center or CAC is a child and adolescent-friendly space where youth and their caregivers come to receive services and support through child abuse investigations. CACs were created to address the needs of child abuse victims using a centralized place where community resources come together
WHAT TO EXPECT AT BRIGHTER WORLD
- Brighter World Child Advocacy Center is a safe, comfortable, child-focused environment where your child can talk about their disclosure and receive additional resources as needed.
- When you arrive at Brighter World our staff will greet you and your child in the private family room to help get you settled and discuss additional support and resources available to you.
- You will meet our Forensic Interviewer who will talk with your child one-on-one using age appropriate, open-ended questions with the aim of fact-finding.
- When the interview is complete you will have the opportunity to meet with the investigative team to ask questions and be guided through the next steps.
- After you leave Brighter World our Client Support Coordinator will continue to be a support for you and your child.
How to prepare for a visit
Many parents and caregivers have questions about how to prepare their child for their visit to Brighter World. Our Client Support Coordinator will contact you before arriving to help with age-appropriate language and suggestions to talk with your child about coming to Brighter World.
- Give your child permission to talk with the interviewer.
- Reassure your child that Brighter World is a safe place to talk openly and honestly.
- Tell your child that the person they will talk to is someone who talks to kids every day.
- Tell your child you will be at Brighter World during the interview, and that you will not leave until they are done.
- Do not instruct your child on how to act or what to say while at Brighter World.
- Please do not promise any treats or rewards to your child for speaking with the interviewer.
- We are here to help you answer questions, please do not try to answer questions that you are unsure about.